History Centre programs have been designed for students in Grades 4 and 5, focusing specifically on the history of Alberta and Western Canada. History Centre programs are held from 9:30 am – 2:30 pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays in October through May.
The cost of each registered program for the 2020/21 school year is $350. This may be reduced over the summer as sponsorship partners are confirmed.
Our preferred method of payment is credit card. We also accept debit cards, and cheque payments on-site. If your institution plans to pay by cheque, please ensure all cheques are made payable to the City of Fort Saskatchewan.
Maximum class size: 30 – 33 students
When registering, please choose the appropriate program for the grade level being booked. History Centre bookings are for Grades 4 and 5. If you would like to register a different Grade level for a program, please contact the Fort Heritage Precinct Programs Coordinator directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 587-338-1781.
Before You Arrive
- Divide your class into three, equal numbered, colour coded groups: red, green, and blue. We request that each student wears a colour coded name tag.
- Inform all students to bring inside shoes to wear during the program.
- Inform all students to dress for the elements! Recesses are held outside.
- Inform all students to pack a bag lunch and bring a water bottle. Our lunch rooms are not equipped with fridges, microwaves, or water fountains.
- Please indicate, at the beginning of your program, what time your class must depart from the precinct (14:00, 14:15, or 14:30).
- Contact the Fort Heritage Precinct Programs Coordinator to discuss specific special needs requirements.
Please ensure that the designated bus driver is familiar with the location of the Fort Heritage Precinct in order to facilitate the 9:30 am arrival time. The Connections to the Peoples and Connections to the Law programs are held in our North West Mounted Police Fort. The Connections to the Land program is held in our Historic Village. Student drop off areas, for all three programs, are indicated on this map. To see all of the pertinent points listed on the map, it must be viewed in Satellite mode and not in Map mode. Please zoom in on the Fort Heritage Precinct icons, to view the precinct in detail.
Approximate travel times from Edmonton neighbourhoods to Fort Saskatchewan City limits:
|West Edmonton||48 Minutes|
|Mill Woods||40 Minutes|
|Castle Downs||32 Minutes|
When you arrive at the Fort Heritage Precinct, one of our session instructors will be waiting, street side, to direct your bus to the student drop off area. Next, the session instructor will guide you and your students to the program room and the students will be given an opportunity to drop off their belongings, change their footwear, and have a washroom break. Finally, a brief introduction/orientation will be given before the students are divided into three groups and guided to their first sessions.
|9:45||Introduction and orientation|
|10:55||Lunch and recess break # 1|
|12:20||Lunch and recess break # 2|
|13:45 – 14:15||Wrap-up and review|
|14:00 – 14:30||Students depart – Departure time dependent upon bus/school schedules.|